Following the resignation of Justice Tanko Muhammad as Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), Justice Olukayode Ariwoola has taken oath of office as Acting Chief Justice of Nigeria.
He was sworn in by President Muhammadu Buhari at the Council Chamber of the Presidential Villa in Abuja on Friday.
Recall that the embattled Justice Tanko Muhammad had earlier tendered his resignation amid corruption allegations.
However, Justice Tanko in a letter to President Buhari, stated that he resigned on health grounds.
Ariwoola will act as CJN pending the time his name will be forwarded to the Senate by the President for confirmation as substantive Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN).
Here are ten (10) important facts about Justice Olukayode Ariwoola, the new Acting Chief Justice of Nigeria:
1. Justice Olukayode Ariwoola was born on 22 August 1958.
2. He is a Yoruba from Oyo State, Southwest-Nigeria.
3. He is a law graduate of Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife, Osun State.
4. Ariwoola was called to the Nigeria bar and got enrolled at the Supreme Court of Nigeria as a Solicitor and Advocate in July 1981.
5. He was appointed a Judge of Superior Court of record in Oyo State in 1992.
6. Justice Ariwoola served as Justice of Court of Appeal in Kaduna, Enugu and Lagos Divisions.
7. He was elevated to the Supreme Court bench in 2011.
8. He is married with children.
9. His hobbies includes reading, listening to good music, photography and shopping.
10. His lordship will retire from the Supreme court in 2028.
By Sunny Green Itodo